Nagios Map View Outages and Trends

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
tdenham735

Nagios Map View Outages and Trends

Post by tdenham735 »

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me understand a small aspect of the Nagios map and how it relates to host trends. It seems that a very short outage (red host icon) on the map may not be logged in trends if the outage is very short.

We are using Nagios core 3.2.3 to monitor VSAT satellite networks, and sometimes there can be very brief periods when a node may not respond to ping. This does not happen often, but occasionally it does.

When viewing the Nagios maps, I noticed that if a node sometimes go down for a second and the map view briefly turns red, then in few seconds or next window refresh the node may turn green again. To me this indicates that the node could occasionally have very brief periods where it does not respond.

But…If I look in the Trends for that node, it does not show the node as having been down, which is ok because in satellite networks we know that sometimes latency can be a problem, but we would like to understand how Nagio is handling these kinds of outages.

For example, I see that Nagios has settings for system checks where the threshold is something like (example) 100.0,20%!500.0,60%.

So my main question is…Does the threshold setting affect the map view and not the trends when the node shows red for a very brief period?

Currently we only use ping tests to check if a host is alive. I know there are other methods to check the status of remote nodes, but we need to continue using ping to check availability.

Thanks