SNMP protocol and microcontroller for my product

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ElectroPhysics

SNMP protocol and microcontroller for my product

Post by ElectroPhysics »

hi. i'm new to SNMP protocols. i have a general understanding about snmp is that, we can monitor sensors attached to atmega8 microcontroller by sending their data through max232 to pc on serial port and a software running on pc with snmp protocol supported can be used to monitor this communication...

is my understanding true??
to start with which free snmp monitoring software should i use??
also other than atmega8 which generally available microcontroller is best suited for this protocol??

i'm basically power electronics design consultant and i have to monitor different functions of my designed Switch Mode Power Supply, SMPS on remote pc. somebody suggested that i interface a microcontroller with my SMPS and transmit that data to remote pc with the help of a SNMP protocol supported software installed on that pc. as i'm used to some basic 8051 and avr microcontrollers like at89c51, at89c2051 and atmega8 etc so it looks interesting and possible solution to monitor the different data of my SMPS like temperature, current, voltage, effeciency etc and also to correct some parameters from that remote computer if necessary. should i download nagios core for that. will it solve my requirements??

it looks that i have two options.
1). i use a ethernet phy with my microcontroller and send that data to the switch/hub. then on remote pc i monitor and control that.
2). i use only microcontroller and send that data to a attached pc via serial port. and then using this pc ethernet connection to the switch/hub i send that data to remote pc and monitor that.
in either case i have to use SNMP software on remote pc (and also on pc attached to my SMPS in case of option 2) for monitoring purpose. is not it??
what else it could be??