Web page not displaying all hosts/services

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Barra

Web page not displaying all hosts/services

Post by Barra »

Hi Folks,

I have a strange problem with the nagios web page display. When I first installed nagios on my monitoring machine, I defined a few hosts and services and everything was working just dandy. I have now added a whole pile of other hosts & services but when I view, say, the services web page it will only display the originally defined services. If I click Services in the menu several - sometimes many - times, it will eventually display everything. There are even a few services which have been added to the originally definitions which exhibit the same thing. Same thing when I try to view the hostgroups or hostsgroup detail. It often takes several clicks to get a display.
The summary grids at the top of the page also display OK - showing host/service status details correctly (but not all the time :( ). All the menus etc are fine - just the host/service displays.

I have tried 3 different browsers on various workstations, so I don't think it is a browser issue. If I am right in that assumption, then it has to an Apache or Nagios (or php?) problem. Anyone else seen this? Any ideas as what is going on?

By the way, even viewing from the local machine shows the same symptons.

My current setup is:
OpenSuSe 11.3 - fully patched
Nagios 3.2.3 - with current plugins
Apache 2.2.15
php 5.3.3

So, bin it and start again :)
mguthrie

Re: Web page not displaying all hosts/services

Post by mguthrie »

Hmm, that's an odd issue. Are you using ndoutils or mk_livestatus addons, or just the base install for Nagios core?

Any changes from restarting the Nagios service?
Barra

Post by Barra »

I'm using just the base, and restarts make no difference. All very puzzling.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Do you have a large number of hosts or services on your system? ( Like several thousand?) Does it seem like the list of items is just timing out when the page loads?
Barra

Post by Barra »

A few hundred (~360).

I thought of the time out issue, so I'm I'm going to reduce it to essential services only and see if it makes any difference.

If I remember correctly, the problem started when I added traffic monitoring on my main router.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

That definitely doesn't seem like enough to cause the server to timeout, unless the machine is WAY underpowered. I've talked to people running 13-18000 services on a single Nagios core machine.

Oh, run a tail -f on your apache log while you view your pages in Nagios, see if you find anything telling there.

I don't know off hand why it would make a difference, but I don't see as many OpenSuSe installs. If the problem persists without an apparent reason you could try CentOS and see if the issue disappears.
Barra

Post by Barra »

Weird!

I removed ~300 host/service. And it made no difference. Still only sometimes displaying all the services/hosts.
Put them all back in (It's just one directory of definitions) and it has now been behaving. Funny you should mention SuSe,
since I was thinking of building another box with something different just to see what happens. Anyway, wotking for now.
If it goes 'wonky' on me again I'll have a go at CentOS.

Thanks for your input.

B.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Glad it's up and running for you!