Staleness not reported

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
pelew

Staleness not reported

Post by pelew »

Hi all,
I'm montiring a number of sites with nagios NSCA. The reports all work OK, but if I shut down the nsclient on a remote windows server I do not get staleness warnings even though last check shows more than 10 minutes ago (600 seconds).
I've set active_checks to 0 and check_freshness to 1, and also defined a check command (check_dummy 2 "Host is stale") that works when I use active checks.
It seems that the staleness is not being detected or that if it does then the check_command is not executed.

Is there a way to debug this behaviour?
mguthrie

Re: Staleness not reported

Post by mguthrie »

Check your main nagios.cfg file. You may have check_freshness globally disabled. You also need to set a "freshness_threshold" in minutes.
mitchsmith

Post by mitchsmith »

Hi,

I have just resolved a similar issue. Check the settings in your service definition/template. When configuring NSCA documentation states to set:

Code: Select all

check_period  none
This prevents the central nagios server from checking the freshness state, and executing the check command.

Set the check_period to utalise the same timeperiod as the distributed nagios server.

Example Remote Server

define service{
        name                            distributed-service         ; The 'name' of this service template
        active_checks_enabled           1                       ; Active service checks are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1                       ; Passive service checks are enabled/accepted

check_period                    24x7                    ; The service can be checked at any time of the day
        max_check_attempts              3                       ; Re-check the service up to 3 times in order to determine its final (hard) state
        normal_check_interval           20                      ; Check the service every 10 minutes under normal conditions
        retry_check_interval            4 
        obsess_over_service             1                       ; We should obsess over this service (if necessary)
Example Central Server

define service{
        name                            distributed-service         ; The 'name' of this service template
        active_checks_enabled           0                       ; Active service checks are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1                       ; Passive service checks are enabled/accepted

check_period                    24x7                    ; The service can be checked at any time of the day
        max_check_attempts              3                       ; Re-check the service up to 3 times in order to determine its final (hard) state
        normal_check_interval           20                      ; Check the service every 10 minutes under normal conditions
        retry_check_interval            4                       ; Re-check the service every two minutes until a hard state can be determined

check_freshness                 1                      ; Default is to NOT check service 'freshness'
        freshness_threshold             1230                    ; After threshold 1230seconds (20mins:30sec)the Central nagios will check activly the service state`
rdedon

Post by rdedon »

Thanks for the contribution mitchsmith, great write up! :-)
Rene deDon
Technical Team
___
Nagios Enterprises, LLC
Web: http://www.nagios.com