Access forbidden!

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
tritonsmoon

Access forbidden!

Post by tritonsmoon »

Can anyone assist me with a nagios install on openSuSE 11.0?
I should start by saying this is the first attempt at a nagios installation.

I followed the instructions found here:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/ ... nsuse.html

Everything seemed as though it installed correctly. (I did not see anything fatal appear as I watched the install). I did not skip any details as far as I can tell.

I get to the point of browsing to http://localhost/nagios/
I am prompted to enter nagiosadmin and my password
Right after I click OK
I receive:
Access forbidden!
Error 403

Thoughts?
mguthrie

Re: Access forbidden!

Post by mguthrie »

Verify that your apache configuration is pointing to the correct authorization file. Locate the nagios.conf file in your apache configs, and the also locate the htpasswd.users file in your nagios/etc directory. Make sure nagios.conf is reference the correct directory location for htpasswd.users.

Then try resetting your nagiosadmin password.
cd /path/to/htpasswd.users
htpasswd -c htpasswd.users nagiosadmin
tritonsmoon

Post by tritonsmoon »

Thanks mguthrie, for your reply.

Late last night I looked at the error logs and there wasn't anything that stood out to me as a problem.
I figured it had to be something with the way the page was displayed after I entered the username and password.
I really didn't want to make configuration changes to nagios since the installation seemed to go so smooth.

After looking through some of the nagios directories specifically /usr/local/nagios/share and staring at the .php extension for a while, I decided to install the
apache2 php mod.

yast2 --install apache2-mod_php5

That worked.
I don't know if I originally had this component installed.
Does this sound like the reasonable solution?
I couldn't find on the nagios documentation that this was necessary, but it must be?
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

I know the Core docs for Ubuntu and Fedora are no longer up to date with the latest version, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with OpenSuSe as well. I work primarily with CentOS and Ubuntu, so if that's what it took to get it working, that's great!