Nagios simulation

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
elvinchia

Nagios simulation

Post by elvinchia »

Is there any software can do simulation using nagios? What I mean here is I do not have the real devices to monitor, is there any software can be used to simulate to monitor the network devices using nagios?
mguthrie

Re: Nagios simulation

Post by mguthrie »

There isn't anything that I know of off hand, but if you wanted to create a dummy setup, the check_dummy command basically lets you create a host or service with a fake check that will return the status code, along with a text string you define.

Example:

Hosts
./check_dummy 0 'Everything is OK'
./check_dummy 1 'Everything is BAD!'

Services
./check_dummy 0 'Everything is OK'
./check_dummy 1 'Everything is WARNING!'
./check_dummy 2 'Everything is CRITICAL'
tonyyarusso

Post by tonyyarusso »

What is it exactly that you're trying to accomplish? For instance,
  • Demonstrate Nagios to management
  • Prototype a network configuration so Nagios is ready to go when you roll out the hardware
  • Fiddle with what options are available
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/
elvinchia

Post by elvinchia »

Actually I want to demonstrate the use of nagios for my academic purposes. What I want are: I had install nagios core in Vmware. I do not have the real device or LAN area for me to monitor to demonstrate the use of Nagios. So I design a lab topology using GNS 3 and connect it to my Nagios server in Vmware. Is it possible? Or any suggestion to solve this issue?

The next problem is: I need to connect the Nagios server with mobile so that the administrator can keep an eye on the network mobility. In this case, I choose to use Android emulator installed with Nagroid. Is is possible to connect the Nagroid installed in android emulator to the Nagios server in Vmware? Or is there any solution for this problem?

I really need the help from you guys.

Thanks.
rdedon

Post by rdedon »

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_appl ... d_yfe.html is the developers site. You can have Nagios monitoring itself, websites etc as well and the Nagroid Interface "should" show results as it would just pull the information from the Nagios Server.
Rene deDon
Technical Team
___
Nagios Enterprises, LLC
Web: http://www.nagios.com
elvinchia

Post by elvinchia »

how to change localhost to an ip-address in Nagios Core which is installed in Vmware?
rdedon

Post by rdedon »

From your other thread:
rdedon wrote:I see you have a thread going on gns3 forums as well.

This would have to be configured in CentOS and not in Nagios XI

Code: Select all

system-config-network
From there you would make the needed changes to the network adapter. Nagios XI should not have to be adjusted but you will have to update any bookmaks/links to reflect this new IP.
Rene deDon
Technical Team
___
Nagios Enterprises, LLC
Web: http://www.nagios.com
elvinchia

Post by elvinchia »

Yes. I had successful connect gns3 to nagios server in vmware. The problem now is I need to integrate the mobility feature to the nagios server. I need to configure port forwarding so that the mobile user can connect to the nagios via internet. In order for me to do port forwarding, the network connection need to set to Bridged in Vmware so that the network is same as the router to do the port forwarding. But I already set the network connection to Host only in vmware to connect with gns3. The vmware only can set for one network connection option. If I connect to gns3, I unable to do port forwarding. So anyway to solve this problem?
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Can you clarify on why you can't use bridged networking for the gns3?
elvinchia

Post by elvinchia »

In order to connect to gns3 with Vmware, need to set to Host only.