Nagios Best Practise

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Nagios Best Practise

Postby Wizkids » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:55 am

Hi all!

I have installed Nagios on my network, and i have some "noob" questions for you all..

I would like to get some Best practise information about the setup, i would like to have a list of different kinds of server types such as:

Web Server:
-
-
-
-
Exchange Server:
-
-
-
etc:
-
-
-
etc:
-
-
-

In thoose lists i would like to have the things that should be monitored, for example...

The best way to monitor an exchange server :

Exchange Server:
- Disk Space (C:)
- CPU Load (%)
- Memory Usage (%)

something like that, soo when i setup an new server in my network i just look upon this list and see what type of server it is, and then BAM! i know what to setup via Nagios...

Can some of you maybe write me one "list" / "best practise" back ? That would be AWESOME!

Thanks! :)
Wizkids

Re: Nagios Best Practise

Postby mguthrie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:04 pm

"Best practices" are pretty relative, I guess I'd start with the default set of checks that ship with the NSClient++ agent for monitoring a windows box. This will allow you to monitor all system metrics (CPU, RAM, DISK, and uptime). This is usually a good place to start.
mguthrie

Return to Nagios Core