Nagios Best Practise

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Wizkids

Nagios Best Practise

Post by Wizkids »

Hi all!

I have installed Nagios on my network, and i have some "noob" questions for you all..

I would like to get some Best practise information about the setup, i would like to have a list of different kinds of server types such as:

Web Server:
-
-
-
-
Exchange Server:
-
-
-
etc:
-
-
-
etc:
-
-
-

In thoose lists i would like to have the things that should be monitored, for example...

The best way to monitor an exchange server :

Exchange Server:
- Disk Space (C:)
- CPU Load (%)
- Memory Usage (%)

something like that, soo when i setup an new server in my network i just look upon this list and see what type of server it is, and then BAM! i know what to setup via Nagios...

Can some of you maybe write me one "list" / "best practise" back ? That would be AWESOME!

Thanks! :)
mguthrie

Re: Nagios Best Practise

Post by mguthrie »

"Best practices" are pretty relative, I guess I'd start with the default set of checks that ship with the NSClient++ agent for monitoring a windows box. This will allow you to monitor all system metrics (CPU, RAM, DISK, and uptime). This is usually a good place to start.