Using utils.h within executables written in the C language

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Using utils.h within executables written in the C language

Postby MCM » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:08 pm

Hey all,

I am a novice at both Nagios and the C language. Whilst perusing the Nagios help pages, I came across a page discussing the "guidelines" for writing plugins. One of the points mentioned is that the use of utils.h (for C-written plugins) was encouraged (perhaps even expected). I was unable to locate this file anywhere (neither on the Nagios server instance I am running nor on the Nagios help pages,/documentation etc). So firstly, I was hoping that I could be directed to where I could get a copy of it.

Secondly, I would like to know how a C application is supposed to link to it. Are we expected to use a static linking technique (i.e. copy and paste the utils.h/c source into our own C plugin and then compile)? Or a dynamic linking technique? And if dynamic linking, is there some documentation/help that will guide me as to how to proceed with this approach?

I hope I explained that clearly enough.
Thanks in advance.
MCM

Return to Nagios Core