Using utils.h within executables written in the C language

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
MCM

Using utils.h within executables written in the C language

Post by MCM »

Hey all,

I am a novice at both Nagios and the C language. Whilst perusing the Nagios help pages, I came across a page discussing the "guidelines" for writing plugins. One of the points mentioned is that the use of utils.h (for C-written plugins) was encouraged (perhaps even expected). I was unable to locate this file anywhere (neither on the Nagios server instance I am running nor on the Nagios help pages,/documentation etc). So firstly, I was hoping that I could be directed to where I could get a copy of it.

Secondly, I would like to know how a C application is supposed to link to it. Are we expected to use a static linking technique (i.e. copy and paste the utils.h/c source into our own C plugin and then compile)? Or a dynamic linking technique? And if dynamic linking, is there some documentation/help that will guide me as to how to proceed with this approach?

I hope I explained that clearly enough.
Thanks in advance.