Monitor a Linux Machine

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
cyb_user

Monitor a Linux Machine

Post by cyb_user »

Hello I am trying to monitor a Java application running on a linux machine (Remote machine). I wanted to monitor the CPU util, memory Util and generate graphs.
I wanted to monitor this from a Windows machine (Monitoring Host), now I have seen that there is a check_nrpe plugin for linux machine that can be used to monitor a NRPE plugin. There is a windows plugin called check_nt too.
Now should I install this plugin (check_nt) to monitor a linux machine running NRPE?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Chetan
mguthrie

Re: Monitor a Linux Machine

Post by mguthrie »

I'm not totally sure I'm following how your monitoring environment is set up, but let me point out a few things that might point you in the right direction.

Nagios Server - running on Linux

to monitor a Linux client, install the NRPE agent on the client machine so the server can fetch the data

to monitor a Windows machine, install NSClient++ as the agent, this agent will work with check_nt, or check_nrpe, or nsca, but the agent needs to be configured according to what method you're using.

Does that help?
cyb_user

Post by cyb_user »

Yes Sir,

It helps, I have read the straight forward setup in the Nagios Core Manual.
What I wanted is Setup the Monitoring Server as a Windows Machine. But Monitored systems will be Linux machines. Can this be possible.

I read that I can have a Monitored System as Windows Systems and Monitoring System a Linux machine tweked to Monitor a Windows System, but did not read the other way round.

Regards,
Chetan
cyb_user

Post by cyb_user »

ok, Nagios can be installed only on a Linux machine and cannot be installed on a windows machine, so I cannot use Windows Machine as the Monitoring Server.

I think that answers the question.

Regards,
Chetan