[Nagios-devel] Service Recovery Logic Question

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.

[Nagios-devel] Service Recovery Logic Question

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I've been developing SLA reporting for our specific in-house requirements. As we run many clustered services, I have been using 'HARD' service alerts to do this. However, I've noticed a problem where service recovery does not result in a service alert being generated. This appears to happen when the host is down and a hard service alert is generated:

The following log entries show this clearly:

[1024397532] HOST ALERT: np.belgacom.be;DOWN;HARD;5;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds
[1024397532] HOST NOTIFICATION: on-call;np.belgacom.be;DOWN;notify-by-sms;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds
[1024397534] SERVICE ALERT: np.belgacom.be;FTP;CRITICAL;HARD;1;Socket timeout after 10 seconds
[1024397632] HOST ALERT: np.belgacom.be;UP;HARD;1;PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 1.60 ms
[1024397632] HOST NOTIFICATION: on-call;np.belgacom.be;UP;notify-by-sms;PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 1.60 ms
[1024397662] SERVICE ALERT: np.belgacom.be;FTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;Socket timeout after 10 seconds
[1024397712] SERVICE ALERT: np.belgacom.be;FTP;OK;SOFT;2;FTP ok - 0 second response time

Although this is occuring on a Netsaint 07b7 system, after examining the checks.c code, it would appear that the same logic is still used in Nagios. I understand that a service notification should not be sent in this case, but surely a service alert should be generated for the service recovery?

Regards,

Caroline Heatlie

**** DISCLAIMER ****
"This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information
which is confidential and/or protected by intellectual property
rights and are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above.
Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to,
total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form)
by persons other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either
by telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer.
Thank you for your cooperation."

This post was automatically imported from historical nagios-devel mailing list archives
Original poster: aroline.heatlie@belgacom.b