Alerts sent to cellphone without sms_tools or modem?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mrtexasfreedom

Alerts sent to cellphone without sms_tools or modem?

Post by mrtexasfreedom »

I'm running Nagios core on a server at our hosting facility. There's no telephone line or modem available to that machine. I'd like to enable a push notification that can be sent to the smartphones of our staff in the field. They have iPhones, so I think I could do it with twitter. How are other admins setting this up without a modem to send true SMS?

I'm not looking for a step-by-step, just a general direction and I can figure it out.

Appreciatively,

mtf
tonyyarusso

Re: Alerts sent to cellphone without sms_tools or modem?

Post by tonyyarusso »

The easiest way is to just use e-mail. Most mobile providers have an email-to-SMS gateway, such that a specially formatted e-mail address using the phone number and the provider will redirect as an SMS to the phone. To do this, you'll need to find out the provider for any phones you want to send to, and then Google their address format. For instance, on Verizon it's <number>@vtext.com, so if the phone number is (555) 123-4567 and they're on Verizon, you can send an e-mail to 5551234567@vtext.com You are also correct that Twitter works for this, although you'll probably want to make the Twitter account restricted so you aren't spamming anyone following "Nagios" as a search.
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/