Having problems with turning off UNREACHABLE notifications

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
tmnewton

Having problems with turning off UNREACHABLE notifications

Post by tmnewton »

I appreciate any help and want to add that I have been using Nagios for years. Back to the Netsaint days and want to say thanks to everybody that contributes. It is a great system. I am setting up a new Nagios core to monitor a large network and want to disable notifications for UNREACHABLE systems. I have a small test environment setup with parents defined and host notifications enabled for only down/recovery. I am only running a ping service check with all notifications turned off for it. My test setup top to bottom is
Nagios host
switch1 (parent is Nagios host)
switch2 (parent is switch1)
host1 (parent is switch2)

If I disconnect switch2 from switch1, I receive notifications for both switch2 and host1, but only want to receive a host down message for switch2. Please help!!! I need to move this to production and need this resolved.
mguthrie

Re: Having problems with turning off UNREACHABLE notificatio

Post by mguthrie »

You can eliminate the UNREACHABLE notifications with the "notification_options" directive
Host - notification options

This directive is used to determine when notifications for the host should be sent out. Valid options are a combination of one or more of the following:
d = send notifications on a DOWN state,
u = send notifications on an UNREACHABLE state,
r = send notifications on recoveries (OK state),
f = send notifications when the host starts and stops flapping, and
s = send notifications when scheduled downtime starts and ends.
If you do not specify any notification options, Nagios will assume that you want notifications to be sent out for all possible states.

Example: If you specify d,r in this field, notifications will only be sent out when the host goes DOWN and when it recovers from a DOWN state.

Code: Select all

notification_options    d,u,r
tmnewton

Post by tmnewton »

Thanks for the response, but I have confirmed that they only have down and recover notifications enabled.
tmnewton

Post by tmnewton »

Anybody got any idea's here, I'm stumped and have tried everything I know to.
tmnewton

Post by tmnewton »

I went back and set my host max check attempts to 2 from 1 and that fixed it. Any idea's why? I can use this setting, just delays the notifications by a minute, but I am curious why this would fix it???
rdedon

Post by rdedon »

Hmm, that is curious, I am wondering if there was possibly a space there or something. If you happen to get the chance, or are willing to, could you renable to 2 and see if it has issues again?
Rene deDon
Technical Team
___
Nagios Enterprises, LLC
Web: http://www.nagios.com
tmnewton

Post by tmnewton »

There wasn't a space, I am using NagiosQL (which is AWESOME) which handles all of those entries. I did confirm in the host object definition that it was correct.