Services Dependent on Host

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Services Dependent on Host

Postby mitchsmith » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:30 am

This may be a stupid question, but are services on a host automatically dependant on that host being alive/reachable.

I mean this in the sense of will I receive notifications for all services being down, that are on Host X. If host X is unreachable.

I believe this should be correct but cannot test as I am currently developing an existing NAGIOS environment and cannot actively turn off a host.

Thanks
mitchsmith

Re: Services Dependent on Host

Postby niebais » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:07 pm

In my experience, this has been the case. If the host is down, you don't get all the service notifications.

Here's the exception:
You will see SOME service notifications if they are checked BEFORE the host is checked as being down. It's not perfect, but it does a great job that way.
niebais

Re: Services Dependent on Host

Postby tonyyarusso » Tue May 03, 2011 9:36 am

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work, and niebais' caveat is correct.
Tony Yarusso
Technical Services
___
TIES
Web: http://ties.k12.mn.us/
tonyyarusso

Return to Nagios Core