check_nrpe!check_load command failed

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mishomor

Re: check_nrpe!check_load command failed

Post by mishomor »

Let's go back to beginning. Should plugin be compiled with or without --enable-command-args on client side?

How about the same plugin on Nagios host server?
slansing

Post by slansing »

Certainly, if you would like to.. You do not need to compile or install anything on the nagios server, check_nrpe is packaged with the plugins pack and is what you require for the Nagios server. On the remote host you will want to enable args, and disable ssl for now so we can test with as few variables as possible..
tisc0

Post by tisc0 »

I think NRPE is not supposed to work with nagios 4 ; cf this page
Compatible With

Nagios 1.x
Nagios 2.x
Nagios 3.x
I have the same problem about define check_nrpe :
Error: Service check command 'check_nrpe' specified in service 'CPU LOAD' for host 'server2' not defined anywhere!
Then I also tried to lauch the check_nrpe directly in a shell.
I had the same error :
CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon. Check the remote server logs for error messages.
It sounds normal, from far I've understood how nrpe is supposed to work, this kind of commands are detailed with parameters in nrpe.cfg (for ScientificLinux 6.5, this file is in /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg).
# The following examples use hardcoded command arguments...

command[check_users]=/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_users -w 5 -c 10
command[check_load]=/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c 30,25,20
command[check_hda1]=/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20% -c 10% -p /dev/hda1
command[check_zombie_procs]=/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_procs -w 5 -c 10 -s Z
command[check_total_procs]=/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_procs -w 150 -c 200

Then, without the option, the commande works for me :
[root@server1 nagios]# /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H ip_of_server2 -c check_load
OK - load average: 0.15, 0.08, 0.02|load1=0.150;15.000;30.000;0; load5=0.080;10.000;25.000;0; load15=0.020;5.000;20.000;0;
[root@server1 nagios]#
But I've still this error about check_nrpe not defined, and I stuck on it.
I've followed a tutorial and made an /etc/nagios/servers/ directory with myServer.cfg file inside, where I defined things like this :
define host{

use linux-server

host_name server2

alias server2

address 192.168.xxx.xxx

max_check_attempts 5

check_period 24x7

notification_interval 5

notification_period 24x7

}

###############################################################################
#
# SERVICE DEFINITIONS
#

define service {
use generic-service
host_name server2
service_description SSH
check_command check_ssh
notifications_enabled 1
}

define service {
use generic-service
host_name server2
service_description CPU LOAD
check_command check_nrpe!check_load
}
Everything was OK until I added this nrpe's service (with only ssh service, it was working well).

In some places, I read that check_nrpe is supposed to be define in /etc/nagios/commands.cfg, but I've not this file, only 'lcgdm-commands.cfg'.
Creating a command.cfg in /etc/nagios doesn't help and nagios still unstartable.

Any idea welcome :)
slansing

Post by slansing »

tisc0, lets start by you opening a new thread for your issue instead of trying to work in someone elses...

NRPE will work with Core 4 just fine, you do need to have your commands housed somewhere or it is normal to receive an error telling you that you don't have one defined for a host/service you just added. Check your nagios.cfg for cfg_file, and cfg_dir lines, one of them should point to a commands.cfg file, or something named similar. Your nagios.cfg has those "cfg_" definitions so it knows where to pull in objects, and configurations for monitoring from.