Installing a mib

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
RonaldVeldhuizen

Re: Installing a mib

Post by RonaldVeldhuizen »

I did a snmpwalk, results are sent bij pm.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Well that looks great! Now you just need to identify what information you would like to collect and monitor on the server, and we can go from there! This will almost definitely have to be done via single check_snmp checks, but that shouldn't be a large deal unless you need to do some calculations on data that is collected, in which case you will have to work out a script or other solution to handle that. We can certainly give ideas on how we might do it, to help out.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
deepavaidya

Post by deepavaidya »

When traps are sent from various hosts, how does it show up in Nagios GUI ? Are the traps mapped to corresponding hosts ? Where do we need to check if this mapping is not happening ? Do we need to check the MIBS uploaded ?
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Please do not hijack other peoples threads. While I understand this is still relating to snmp traps, it is not in relation to this post, additionally it becomes confusing as to when we can lock the thread as completed.
They show in the gui by being sent to the nagios command pipe as a check result. They are separated by IP or hostname in the trap. /etc/snmp/snmptrapd.conf and /etc/snmp/snmptt.conf are the configurations that generally handle how traps are sent to nagios. Yep, you absolutely need to check if mibs are uploaded, otherwise your traps will not be interpreted and sent to nagios.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
RonaldVeldhuizen

Hi, I picked out two router events, how can I get nagios to work with it?
I attached these two exported from the mib file in csv format.

Regards
Attachments
Router-RouterEvents.zip
(306 Bytes) Downloaded 144 times
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Well, let's start again with a walk of those OIDs to make sure they have information useful to you, and give me an idea of what we are working with. Note: I do realize that the latter 2 are down the firsts tree and will result in redundant data.

Code: Select all

snmpwalk -v 2c -c [communitystring] .1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.7.7.35.30 [hostname\IP]
snmpwalk -v 2c -c [communitystring] .1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.7.7.35.30.2 [hostname\IP]
snmpwalk -v 2c -c [communitystring] .1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.7.7.35.30.3 [hostname\IP]
RonaldVeldhuizen

Hi,

I tried the suggested lines:

# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public [ipnumber] .1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.7.7.35.30
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3530.7.7.35.30 = NULL
# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public [ipnumber] .1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.7.7.35.30.2
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3530.7.7.35.30.2 = NULL
# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public [ipnumber] .1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.7.7.35.30.3
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3530.7.7.35.30.3 = NULL

Another one I tried:

# snmpwalk -v 2c -c public [ipnumber] .1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.7.7.15.120.15.1.2.1.8.833991428
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3530.7.7.15.120.15.1.2.1.8.833991428 = INTEGER: 1

For now I more and more cunfused how to implement this :-(
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Sure enough, looking back at your snmpwalk that you pm'd, it does not display those OIDs. It may be that you have a differing version of BES from where you got these oids or that some special configuration needs to be setup first. Honestly, the best thing i can suggest at this point would be to speak with blackberry support and verify if these are in fact available for your version and installation, if so what you need to do to expose them, and if not what other similar options you may have. You certainly can dig into this manually but BB themselves will be much faster.
RonaldVeldhuizen

Thanks for the time you've have spent on this.
I'm going to figure out how to go further.
best regards
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

You are most welcome! Since it sounds like this might be an extended search for what you are able to monitor I will lock the topic for now. If you want to create a new topic regarding this, please reference this thread so we have some idea of what happened in the past. Good luck!