Nagios 4.0 and NDOUtils

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
kazik_k

Nagios 4.0 and NDOUtils

Post by kazik_k »

I would like to upgrade the Nagios version from 3.5.1 to version 4.0. Currently I use also the mysql database by using ndoutils. My question is whether after the update to version 4.0 nagios will continue to function properly with the database?

best regards
slansing

Re: Nagios 4.0 and NDOUtils

Post by slansing »

It should still work properly:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagi ... ml#workers

No changes mentioned there have to do with ndo or mysql databases. I would set up a test box to test this first though, instead up upgrading straight to 4.0 on a production server.
SoulA

Post by SoulA »

I know at least years conference when they talked about Nagios 4 there was the mention that many of the NEB modules would need to get upgraded to accommodate Nagios 4 and some of the changes to how NEB modules work. There was a branch started for NDO with some changes specifically for Nagios 4 added in but I don't think it was ever officially released:

http://sourceforge.net/p/nagios/ndoutil ... log/?path=

You can try that as well if compiling the 1.5.2 release against the Nagios 4 headers doesn't work. I'm curious how it turns out if you could let us know.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Good idea SoulA,

Once again I can't stress enough to test this in a test environment so if something does go wrong you are not without monitoring. Since you are using several addons that may not play nice from the start.

I know that we have them working fine with Nagios Core 4 in XI for testing, so it should not be that much of a leap.
SoulA

Post by SoulA »

Be nice to see ndoutils-2.0 released officially if it is ready for use for the general public since Nagios 4 is out in the wild so people can start using that as well and report issues. Also, if there were changes to how NEB modules work with Nagios 4 I'd imagine that it would be a good idea to include that in the "whats changed in Nagios 4" documentation.
slansing

Post by slansing »

I'm sure it will be added once fully tested, though NDO 2.0 itself is not a feature specific to Core 4.0.
Stiuzz

Post by Stiuzz »

Hi all,
I'm trying to install NDO 1.5 with Nagios 4.0 on a CentOS 6.4 64bit system, I have no error during compilation but if I try to start the module I receive this error:

Oct 10 16:44:27 emcnagios-new nagios: Error: Could not load module '/usr/local/nagios/bin/ndomod.o' -> /usr/local/nagios/bin/ndomod.o: undefined symbol: servicedependency_list
Oct 10 16:44:27 emcnagios-new nagios: Error: Failed to load module '/usr/local/nagios/bin/ndomod.o'.
Oct 10 16:44:27 emcnagios-new nagios: Error: Module loading failed. Aborting.

Do you think I should try with NDO 2.0?

Stiuzz
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

Stiuzz wrote:Do you think I should try with NDO 2.0?
As long as this is on your testing box, yeah, go for it. NDO 2 is probably under tested with core 4 though . . . Don't forget to post the results of your testing here - best of luck!
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
Stiuzz

Post by Stiuzz »

Hi all,
I downloaded and compiled NDOUtils 2.0, but when I run installdb I receive this error:

[root@emcnagios-new db]# ./installdb -u nagios -p nagios -d nagios
DBD::mysql::db do failed: Table 'nagios.nagios_dbversion' doesn't exist at ./installdb line 51.
** Creating tables for version 2.0.0
Using mysql.sql for installation...
ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 27: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '`instance_id` (`entry_time`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM COMMENT='Current and historical hos' at line 15
Installation from mysql.sql failed at ./installdb line 59.

So I run installdb from version 1.5 and withndomod-4x.o everything seems to run, at the moment I'm in a mixed env with ndomod-4x.o broker and ndo2db-3x daemon but the DB seems correctly popoulated. In the next days I'll hope to have time for more testing. I'll let you know.

Regards
Stiuzz
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

Great. Thanks for the follow up. Having a mixed broker/backend may lead to db corruption, or maybe not. I do not think it is a tested scenario . . .
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.