Nagios email alert notification differentiation

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
rellegib

Nagios email alert notification differentiation

Post by rellegib »

Hi,

I've setup another Nagios server and now and I want to be able differentiate between them in the email alerts I see. The email alerts I see now are nagios[nagios@domain.com]. I would like them to read something like nagios1[nagios@domain.com] and nagios2[nagios@domain.com] so I can quickly look at my email and determine which server the alerts came from.

Where would I modify this and how do I do it please?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Nagios email alert notification differentiation

Post by abrist »

In the nagios object file, commands.cfg, you will find 2 notify commands - these are the commands that nagios uses to send email:

Code: Select all

define command {
       command_name                             notify-host-by-email
       command_line                             /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
}

define command {
       command_name                             notify-service-by-email
       command_line                             /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service Alert: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
}
You can alter the email by adjusting the body and message of each command. For example:

define command {
       command_name                             notify-host-by-email
       command_line                             /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios Server 1 *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /bin/mail -s "** Nagios Server 1 ** ** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
}

define command {
       command_name                             notify-service-by-email
       command_line                             /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios Server 1 *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s "** Nagios Server 1 ** ** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service Alert: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
}
Your commands may be a little bit different than those above, but you should be able to understand the necessary changes.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Check out your commands.cfg file. You should be able to define a custom command to send out emails, like so:

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios1 *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /bin/mailx -s "** Nagios1 - $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
You can just change "Nagios1" to "Nagios2" or whatever else, and your subject will be:

** Nagios1 - $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **

of course with the macros being filled with their relevant values.
Former Nagios employee
rellegib

Post by rellegib »

Perfect! Thanks Guys!
slansing

Post by slansing »

Keep us apprised!