nagios.log (null)

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
MichaelMoritz

Re: nagios.log (null)

Post by MichaelMoritz »

Code: Select all

ls -la /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
-rw-r--r--  1 nagios  nagios  4200 Oct 15 16:41 /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

lets make sure the nagios group has write permissions:

chmod g+w /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
MichaelMoritz

Post by MichaelMoritz »

vc70:/usr/local/nagios/var>ll nagios.log
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios  5040 Oct 16 12:17 nagios.log

vc70:/usr/local/nagios/var>sudo /etc/rc.d/nagios restart
Running configuration check...done.
Stopping nagios: .done.
Starting nagios: done.

vc70:/usr/local/nagios/var>tail -4 nagios.log
[1381943945] (null)
[1381943945] (null)
[1381943945] (null)
[1381943945] (null)

slansing

Post by slansing »

I know it worked in the past but have not had a need to check the logs for some time. I've done some upgrades since.
What were these upgrades that you did? Did you make any changes to the system such as adding a new logging system?
MichaelMoritz

Post by MichaelMoritz »

I upgraded the OS from NetBSD 5.1.2 to 6.1.2 in June 2013. Looking back through my archives I don't have any of the nagios logs prior to the OS upgrade, so it does seem logical that this may have broke then.

I find it interesting though that I can log to syslog but not to nagios.log. Well [timestamp] (null) gets logged.

When I realized logging was broken I tried to upgraded to Nagios 4.0.0 but encountered compile failures. I posted the problem to this forum but have not found a solution. http://support.nagios.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=21531 FYI I also tried compiling 4.0.1 with the same failures.
MichaelMoritz

Post by MichaelMoritz »

I think if found something. If I add a line to logging.c, removing the printing of the log_time, I get the expected output.

/* write the buffer to the log file */
        fprintf(fp, "[%lu] %s\n", log_time, buffer);
        fprintf(fp, "here %s\n", buffer);
I'm not a C programmer and do not know what the %lu is but I do notice the following warnings when I compile:

#make nagios
cd ./base && make
gcc -Wall -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DNSCORE  -c logging.c
logging.c: In function 'write_to_log':
logging.c:235:2: warning: format '%lu' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'time_t'
logging.c:235:2: warning: format '%lu' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'time_t'
logging.c: In function 'log_debug_info':
logging.c:558:2: warning: format '%lu' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'time_t'
logging.c:558:2: warning: format '%06lu' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 4 has type 'suseconds_t'
logging.c:558:2: warning: format '%lu' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'time_t'
logging.c:558:2: warning: format '%06lu' expects type 'long unsigned int', but argument 4 has type 'suseconds_t'
gcc -Wall -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DNSCORE -o nagios nagios.c broker.o nebmods.o ../common/shared.o checks.o config.o commands.o events.o flapping.o logging.o macros-base.o netutils.o notifications.o sehandlers.o skiplist.o utils.o retention-base.o xretention-base.o comments-base.o xcomments-base.o objects-base.o xobjects-base.o statusdata-base.o xstatusdata-base.o perfdata-base.o xperfdata-base.o downtime-base.o xdowntime-base.o    -Wl,-export-dynamic   -lm  -lpthread
MichaelMoritz

Post by MichaelMoritz »

google tells me that NetBSD 6 time_t is 64 bit and %lu is 32. I changed the print to %llu and logging is working.

fprintf(fp, "[%llu] %s\n", log_time, buffer);
I'm sure this is not the *right* way to do it for portability, but hopefully this can put someone knowledgeable in C on the right track. :-)
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

could you submit a bug report to http://tracker.nagios.org with your solution?
Former Nagios employee
Come to the Dark Side.
MichaelMoritz

Post by MichaelMoritz »

Done, ID 512.

Thanks for your help in troubleshooting.
Mike
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

I also opened an internal bug report as well. It should catch Eric's attention. I presume the proper place to follow the bug will now be on tracker.
Former Nagios employee
Come to the Dark Side.