JSON CGIs

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
SoulA

JSON CGIs

Post by SoulA »

I just was watching this presentation from the recent world conference and had some questions:

http://www.slideshare.net/nagiosinc/eri ... and-nagios

Where are these CGIs pulling their data? Are they still using the status.dat and objects.cache files or are they using some of the new Nagios Core 4 stuff? Apologies if this was answered some where.

Also, I'm just curious as to why time is being spent on a project like this. Seems like there are other projects, namely livestatus, that give this same data back and are widely used by the community. Why not re-use a lot of the work that other community members have already done? Develop some type of REST API on it that the entire community can use and contribute to. Just seems like projects like this further fracture the community, increase the amount of tools one may need to use and is time wasted solving problems that others have already solved.
estanley

Re: JSON CGIs

Post by estanley »

The JSON CGIs are currently still parsing the status.dat and objects.cache files. We are looking at using the new features in Core 4 to retrieve this information, but that hasn't been implemented yet.

As for the reasons behind the JSON CGIs, while there is some overlap with other projects, it is not complete. The goal of the JSON CGIs is to provide all of the information available from the current CGIs in JSON format. As far as I know (and I don't claim to know every project out there), there is no project that provides the information in the archive JSON CGI (alerts, notifications, state changes, and availability). Having the object and status JSON CGIs in addition to the archive CGI hopefully provides a consistent interface from all three.

The goal is certainly not to fracture the community, but to give more options to Nagios users. If modules such as livestatus provide what you need, please continue using them. If the JSON CGIs provide what you need, use them. As always, we welcome patches, contributions and suggestions.