Ports monitoring

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
abdelilah

Ports monitoring

Post by abdelilah »

Hello everyone,

Could you please tell me if there is a way to monitore active connections and ports on a remote windows machine via snmp or nsclient, I have searched in the plugins libray but all I could find was useless to my case.

Thanks in advance.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Ports monitoring

Post by sreinhardt »

You can definitely monitor port status and to some extent activity with either source of monitoring. When you say active connections, you are looking to continually monitor the total number, each individual one, or for a specific connection?
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
abdelilah

Post by abdelilah »

For example by typing "netstat -bn" I obtain this (among many others):

[Dropbox.exe] TCP 192.168.1.96:25718 108.160.163.51:80 ESTABLISHED

I want to be able to monitor this connection in the remote windows machine from Nagios.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Well, sure you can write a script that will output the results of this command, count up the number of connections and allows you to check warning and critical amounts. Otherwise this plugin might work for you:

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... ns/details
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.