Extra note for host and services

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
veenm

Extra note for host and services

Post by veenm »

In nagios Nagios core i want to put extra notes for host and service checks . how we can configure this.
tmcdonald

Re: Extra note for host and services

Post by tmcdonald »

Do you mean notes in general? Or additional notes beyond those you are already able to enter?

If the first, check out: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/ ... .html#host

Specifically the section called "notes" for each host/service.
Former Nagios employee
veenm

Post by veenm »

if i want to use "notes_url " how do i use this option in host or service definition . I could see that we have to mention the url . How we can form this url to mention the extended information for hosts and services.
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

I'm not quite sure what you mean. What extended information are you looking to include?
Former Nagios employee
veenm

Post by veenm »

Extended information like host owner name , email address , location of the server etc information i want to see when we see the host in nagios "host details".
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

So it turns out the notes and notes_url fields only show up in nagios core, not XI. I've gone ahead and filed a feature request for this, but in the meantime you can take a look at this component:

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Ad ... nt/details

You will need to download the .zip, and in your Nagios XI web interface go to Admin -> Manage Components, then click Browse and select the file to upload. From here on out when you click on a host in the Host Detail page, there will be a new tab called Notes

Former Nagios employee
veenm

Post by veenm »

As i mentioned earlier we are having nagios core setup . could you please let me know how we can use note_url in host and service checks. How we can for the URL.
slansing

Post by slansing »

This is currently not properly passed from Core to XI, it is added as a feature request in our internal tracker.
veenm

Post by veenm »

how we can we use notes_url option in nagios . what we have to put in notes_url field

define hostgroup{
hostgroup_name hostgroup_name
alias alias
members hosts
hostgroup_members hostgroups
notes note_string
notes_url url
action_url url
}
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Sorry, I thought this was for XI.

No worries though, quite simple in core as well. For the notes section in your config, you can add just about whatever you want as long as you respect the illegal characters such as # and $. This note will show up directly in the host/service information page.

For notes_url, you enter a URL that contains more information about the host/service, and this will appear as a piece of paper icon on the right side of your host/service information screen. Clicking on that will open the link in a new tab.
Former Nagios employee