nagios service checks

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
noc-despegar

nagios service checks

Post by noc-despegar »

Hello,

I have a question, if anyone could help me out.

I have implemented a backup system for all the nagios servers that in the case one of my nagios goes down, the backup server detects this event and starts a new instance and deploys the latest nagios backup from the server that is down (basically it takes out the virgin installed nagios3 and copies the contents of /etc/nagios3/ - /usr/lib/nagios/plugins and restarts the service).

When this happens, there are many services that are pending to be checked, and the next scheduled check is like 1 day from the moment it starts, this may be because of the way that service is configured on the other nagios, because it needs to be checked every once in a while, and when the files are copied, some cached data is brought as well (just my guess) and it saves that state, without trying to execute an immediate check.

Is there a way to force a massive service check on all of my hosts ? so I can get the latest data for all of them when we have a disaster recovery?

or is there any cache files im missing to copy or that i can delete so we can get all the services checked again?

currently, i'm only copying and replacing the contents of the plugins dir and /etc/nagios3

thanks a lot in advance!
slansing

Re: nagios service checks

Post by slansing »

While this is a feature in Nagios Xi, in Core you would have to figure out a way to harness the re-schedule check function on the object level. I am not aware of an addon to core that is can do this at the moment. I'll have to do a bit of digging.
noc-despegar

Post by noc-despegar »

thanks for the reply. Nagios XI does have what, the backup and recovery or the ability to launch a massive service check on demand for every service on every host?

If you would know of a way to make this happen it will be very much appreciated. I can go ahead and execute a on-demand service check on every host but as you can imagine that will not be optimal.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Apologies, it allows you to mass acknowledge, mass schedule downtime, and mass check hosts/services.