xinetd[6199]: FAIL: nrpe per_source_limit from=ip_nagios

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

xinetd[6199]: FAIL: nrpe per_source_limit from=ip_nagios

Postby arey » Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 am

I´m having a message error shown at my server log:
xinetd[6199]: FAIL: nrpe per_source_limit from=ip_nagios_server.

This message it´s shown at the log while my contacts receive multiple times at the day this message:
CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

The NRPE version installed is v2.12
The product it's Nagios Core 3.2.1

I had reviewed the file from the monitored server: /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe.cfg because of the message also display in the server log:

the nrpe[14368]: Unable to open config file '/etc/xinetd.d/nrpe.cfg' from reading.
but i have the following (i didn´t modify this file): -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 475 May 26 2010 nrpe

# default: on
# description: NRPE (Nagios Remote Plugin Executor)
service nrpe
{
flags = REUSE
socket_type = stream
port = 5666
wait = no
user = nagios
group = nagios
server = /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe
server_args = -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg --inetd
log_on_failure += USERID
disable = no
only_from = 127.0.0.1 ip_nagios_server
}

Should i rebuild nrpe with ssl?? i can´t restart xinetd, i have all my services working.
As far as has had checked the others server that are monitored by Nagios uses the same configuration, but not showing this problem.
arey

Re: xinetd[6199]: FAIL: nrpe per_source_limit from=ip_nagios

Postby mguthrie » Fri May 06, 2011 4:51 pm

You may not need to rebuild nrpe, but you may want to make sure you have openssl and openssl-devel packages installed on your system.
mguthrie

Re: xinetd[6199]: FAIL: nrpe per_source_limit from=ip_nagios

Postby anbusiness » Thu May 12, 2011 11:17 am

I had found the answer to that. It was two things:
Some of my services were flapping, i just realized that while i was monitoring other server, i found on the web monitor the message: service started flapping.
I checked out some documentation and i found that flapping makes nrpe plugin to fail.
This persistency was started by having problems responding from that server to the monitor server.
I double checked the conections availables in the server and i found and unhappy surprise:

ps -ef | grep nrpe

Stikky conections, i read the configuration for Xinedt service and found that the max allow conections where 10 and i had more that 15 in the server whom error i was reporting first. i checked it out in other servers (one with the message started flapping and other 2 with no problem at all).

kill -9 (pid's)

Killing all the extra conections the web monitor started showing RECOVERY for all my services :)
I felt relief!!!

SOLVED!
anbusiness

Return to Nagios Core