Remote Monitoring via dial-up

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
nickyoung

Remote Monitoring via dial-up

Post by nickyoung »

Hi All,

I am looking at various monitoring solutions at present. Few do what I want so I am looking at Open Source solutions, with the hope I can extend the functionality to what I need.

I apologise if this is covering an old topic. I could not find anything on the forums so if it has been covered before, please just point me to the posts. What I am after is to be able to monitor a specific device(s) on SNMP. Not a problem. The two questions are,

1. Is there a way to use a SSL tunnel to monitor a specific device on a remote network?
2. Is there a way to monitor a remote device that is only connected/accessible via a dial-up modem?

I am not expecting a full solution. I am only interested at this stage if it is possible with Nagios and a pointer in the right direction, ie..e tutorials/wiki's etc.

Regards,
Nick
nickyoung

Re: Remote Monitoring via dial-up

Post by nickyoung »

Hi All,

Okay so now I have thought about it, question 1 is obviously just an SSH tunnel, possibly with port redirection. But question 2 remains un answered despite all the searching.

I have two machines at different locations. Machine A is connected via modem and Internet. However, machine B is connected only via modem. I would like a way to be able to automate Machine A connecting and interrogating the SNMP on Machine B. Say once an hour. At the same time, should a trap be triggered on Machine B, I would like it to be able to alert Machine A.

Is this viable with Nagios?

Regards,
Nick