Getting data from syslog to Nagios

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
whitetr6

Getting data from syslog to Nagios

Post by whitetr6 »

I have a series of Pentaho ETL jobs running in the Task Scheduler on a Windows 7 box, that when they complete, send a message to the syslog on the Nagios server. That part works great. The piece I'm trying to figure out now, is how to pull one of those syslog messages out and post them to a particular service monitor in Nagios.

Example:
3 jobs complete, and each one posts a message to the syslog on the Nagios server:
Jun 7 02:45:33 192.168.7.35 : 127.0.0.1 Company A Supplier Assignment ETL Successful
Jun 7 02:46:35 192.168.7.35 : 127.0.0.1 Company B Supplier Assignment ETL Successful
Jun 7 03:35:58 192.168.7.35 : 127.0.0.1 Company C Forecast Detail Successful

Ideally, I'd like to have a service being monitored for each of these. It would check sometime shortly after the job is scheduled to run each time. If the success message is received, it stays green. If the message is not received, it goes red - the assumption being that if the message isn't there, the job must have failed.

Challenge: all of the messages are in the same log. That can be changed if I have to, but if I leave it that way, somehow Nagios has to be able to determine which message is the most current for each monitored service, and be able to determine that a message is missing if it does not show up.

There is a script at Nagios Exchange that sends messages from syslog-ng to Nagios via NSCA. I think that might work if I can figure out how it works, but I still have the challenge of pulling out the individual messages and applying them to the right monitored service.

I would welcome any suggestions on this, including if someone wants to suggest a different approach. Thanks
mguthrie

Re: Getting data from syslog to Nagios

Post by mguthrie »

I think this addon is what a lot of people use for this:
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Ad ... og/details