$HOSTALIAS$ not displaying correctly in email notifications

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
HelpDesk

$HOSTALIAS$ not displaying correctly in email notifications

Post by HelpDesk »

I've got Nagios Core v3.2.3 running on a CentOS machine. I have email notifications set up for a service. The notifications are coming through just fine however the "Host:" portion is wrong. This is what I receive:

***** Nagios *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: Check Web Site
Host: Virtual Development Site
Address: x.x.x.x
State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Wed Jun 8 09:05:48 PDT 2011

And here is my host definition:

define host{
use linux-box
host_name devsite
alias Virtual Development Site (devsite)
parents switch1,switch2
address x.x.x.x
}

My question is in my email notification why doesn't Host: say "Virtual Development Site (devsite)"
mguthrie

Re: $HOSTALIAS$ not displaying correctly in email notificati

Post by mguthrie »

Can you post your host notification command? It might be calling the $HOSTNAME$ macro instead of the $HOSTALIAS$.
HelpDesk

Post by HelpDesk »

I think this is what you're asking for. Forgive me, I am but a Nagios newbie :)

# 'notify-host-by-email' command definition
define command{
command_name notify-host-by-email
command_line /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
}

# 'notify-service-by-email' command definition
define command{
command_name notify-service-by-email
command_line /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$\n" | /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service Alert: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
}

I should explain what I want to happen. I want to receive an email when my Check Web Site service goes critical. If it goes critical then my httpd is down and I need to know about that. I don't really need any notification about the host itself, just the service. All I really want to do is make Host say "Host: Virtual Development Site (devsite)" because other people who get this email know the server as devsite. Thanks!
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

If you change out the $HOSTNAME$ macro with $HOSTALIAS$ this should give you what you need. You can disable host notifications, and also set the "notification_options" to "c" in the service definition, and that will make it so that you only receive notifications for the http service if it goes to a critical state.
HelpDesk

Post by HelpDesk »

Thank you for your reply. I am receiving critical service emails, not host emails. This is exactly what I want. The notify-host-by-email command has nothing to do with what I'm doing here. I'm only concerned with notify-service-by-email. And I verified this. In notify-service-by-email I changed $HOSTALIAS$ to $HOSTNAME$ and this is what I got:

***** Nagios *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: Check Web Site
Host: devsite
Address: x.x.x.x
State: CRITICAL

Exactly what I expected. It displays the name of the host. I changed $HOSTNAME$ back to $HOSTALIAS$ and I get "Host: Virtual Development Site" even though this is what my host config looks like:

define host{
use linux-box
host_name devsite
alias Virtual Development Site (devsite)
parents switch1, switch2
address x.x.x.x
}

I can change alias to anything and it doesn't update. I changed it to "I AM AWESOME" and it still displays "Host: Virtual Development Site." What gives?!
bushi

Post by bushi »

See http://support.nagios.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=2304

@mguthrie - will this bug be fixed?
HelpDesk

Post by HelpDesk »

Heyyy! It worked! Thanks for that. Except it removed all my info regarding enabled/disabled notifications on hosts and services. I had to go and set those all over again on every host which kinda sucked. I can't use the global "Notifications Disabled" button on the Tactical Overview page because I need notifications on only 1 service per host, not even the host itself. Setting all that up manually is a bit of a pain so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears!

Also, when's that bug getting fixed? I'm running 3.2.3 which I believe is the latest.