Problem with check_snmp external command error

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Problem with check_snmp external command error

Postby blkprometheus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Hello,

I'm running Nagios 3.2.3 on CentOS 5.5. I'm receiving the following error when trying to monitor a Cisco 4510R and a Cisco ASA 5520: "External command error: Error in packet". When I run the command from the command line, here's the error I receive: ./check_snmp -H x.x.x.x -C public -o ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB
External command error: Error in packet
Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
Failed object: RFC1213-MIB::ifOperStatus.1

I found an article in a google search an article which mentioned that for a Cisco gig switch, one should specify the port in this manner "ifOperStatus.10101, ifOperStatus.10102, etc. But this doesn't work for me. I get the same error message when I run this command against the 4510 and the ASA 5520.

Has anyone figured this out? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
blkprometheus

Re: Problem with check_snmp external command error

Postby pnewlon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Try using snmpwalk on the Nagios system to walk the MIB and find what you are looking for. If you use the -On switch and you have the correct MIB for the device in your MIB repository, you will see the form you need.

External command error: Error in packet
Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
Failed object: RFC1213-MIB::ifOperStatus.1

I found an article in a google search an article which mentioned that for a Cisco gig switch, one should specify the port in this manner "ifOperStatus.10101, ifOperStatus.10102, etc. But this doesn't work for me. I get the same error message when I run this command against the 4510 and the ASA 5520.
pnewlon

Return to Nagios Core