Unable to get $CONTACTEMAIL$ to expand

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
agriffin

Re: Unable to get $CONTACTEMAIL$ to expand

Post by agriffin »

navaho wrote:No Joy. I updated to 3.2.3 by removing the debs, hand building it from source, and dropping my configs in.
Did you update nagios.cfg to point to the new locations of your object files?
navaho

Post by navaho »

Good morning!

Yes, I did. I'm pretty darn sure I have everything configured properly. Everything works, it just doesn't send email.

I set debug to -1 and found that it's telling me that the macro is failing. I'll grab a capture of that log in just a bit. Seems it rotated out over the night.

Someone suggested to try with on-demand macro $CONTACTEMAIL:navaho$ to see if it works which I will.
navaho

Post by navaho »

I turned on debugging with the original contact command

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "Notification:\t$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nOccurred:\t$DATETIME$\nHostname:\t$HOSTALIAS$ ($HOSTADDRESS$)\nService:\t$SERVICEDESC$\nState:\t\t$SERVICESTATE$\nDetails:\n\n $OUTPUT$" | /usr/bin/mail -s "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ -- $SERVICESTATE$" "$CONTACTEMAIL$"
And this is what I got in the debug log. I've snipped it simply for brevity, I can paste the entirely of it if there is more that you would like to see.

[1312391403.159137] [2048.2] [pid=4104]   Not currently in macro.  Running output (213): '/usr/bin/printf "%b" "Notification:\t\n\nOccurred:\t$DATETIME$\nHostname:\thostname (10.5.4.1)\nService:\tmy service\nState:\t\tCRITICAL\nDetails:\n\n $OUTPUT$" | /usr/bin/mail -s ": hostname/my service -- CRITICAL" "'
[1312391403.159152] [2048.2] [pid=4104]   Processing part: 'CONTACTEMAIL'
[1312391403.159168] [2048.2] [pid=4104]   macro_x[22] (CONTACTEMAIL) match.
[1312391403.159182] [2048.2] [pid=4104]   Processed 'CONTACTEMAIL', Clean Options: 0, Free: 1
[1312391403.159196] [2048.0] [pid=4104]  WARNING: An error occurred processing macro 'CONTACTEMAIL'!
I'm going to try running it again with $CONTACTEMAIL:navaho$ and see what that does.
navaho

Post by navaho »

I FOUND IT!

using the macro like this

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "Notification:\t$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nOccurred:\t$DATETIME$\nHostname:\t$HOSTALIAS$ ($HOSTADDRESS$)\nService:\t$SERVICEDESC$\nState:\t\t$SERVICESTATE$\nDetails:\n\n $OUTPUT$" | /usr/bin/mail -s "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ -- $SERVICESTATE$" '$CONTACTEMAIL:navaho$'
Sent email to navaho@nagios server hostname not to the email address listed for navaho in contacts.cfg. That got me to thinking some more and i looked at the debug a little but more. That's where I saw the problem.

I changed $CONTACTEMAIL$ to "$CONTACTEMAIL$" and no go, but then I tried '$CONATACTEMAIL$' and it worked..

I still have to fix up $DATETIME$ as that's coming blank in the email as is $OUTPUT$ but that'll be easy. the hard part was making the email send at all.

Thanks for the sounding board!
agriffin

Post by agriffin »

Glad to hear it was resolved, although the solution still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
navaho

Post by navaho »

Same here. I'm looking over the original again, and I don't see any quotes that are escaped. That would do I think, but I don't see one.
navaho

Post by navaho »

What if one of the macros previous to $CONTACTEMAIL$ had unescaped HTML? (which for this service they do) Quotes in there would cause this, wouldn't they?
navaho

Post by navaho »

Just a followup, that was exactly what the issue was. In the mail command was

Details:\n\ n$OUTPUT$"

$OUTPUT$ has html in it. With /usr/bin/printf %b and a field that has html (including "'s) we were getting extra quotes and breaking the mail command.

We were ending up with this

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "Notification:\tPROBLEM: hostname/servicename -- CRITICAL\n\nOccurred:\tWed Aug 3 19:05:51 PDT 2011\nHostname:\tmy hostname (10.5.4.1)\nService:\tService description\nState:\t\tDOWN\nDetails:\n\n<a href="serviceurl.com">service url</a> | /usr/bin/mail -s "PROBLEM: myhostname/my service -- DOWN" myemailaddress@domain.com

It appears that quotes in the serviceurl link were breaking things. Using %s sort fo fixed the problem in that it fixed the quotes in $OUTPUT$ but of course broke the \t and \n that I was using, of course. I had to fix up my formatting, but I'm getting the email now. It's not optimal, but it works.
agriffin

Post by agriffin »

Good to know, thanks!
colintaylor

Post by colintaylor »

I had exactly this - and the problem was that I had my event handler(s) for hosts and services set to "notify_host_by_email" or "notify_service_by_email". The $CONTACTEMAIL$ macro is not available in the event handler parameters.

Hope that helps! (took me *weeks* to find that!)