NRPE client not showing up anywhere

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
zomgwtfno5

NRPE client not showing up anywhere

Post by zomgwtfno5 »

I have Nagios Core 3.3.1 installed on one CentOS 5.5 install, along with NRPE 2.12. NRPE 2.12 is also installed as a plugin on another CentOS 5.5 device that I'm trying to monitor. The problem is that on the monitoring server, where Nagios is installed, the client server to be monitored isn't showing up at all. I only see "localhost".

On the client:

Code: Select all

netstat -at | grep nrpe
returns this:

tcp        0      0 *:nrpe                      *:*                         LISTEN   

Before I modified the "/etc/xinetd.d/nrpe" file to have the address of the Nagios monitoring server, this command:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost
returned this:

NRPE v2.12
iptables on both hosts are off and there were no configure, make, or install problems or errors for either device.

On the Nagios monitoring server:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 192.168.135.130
returns this:

NRPE v2.12
Everything seems to be fine and communicating...I restarted Nagios and when I open the browser and go to Map for example, I still only see localhost...any thoughts? Anyone know of what I can check? Any help would be appreciated...
mguthrie

Re: NRPE client not showing up anywhere

Post by mguthrie »

Have you created host and service definitions for this device?

If so, have you included these configs under the main nagios.cfg file so Nagios knows to look for them.

After adding configs, did you restart Nagios?

Here's the link for the manual if you need more detail on any of these:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/toc.html
mrtexasfreedom

Re: NRPE client not showing up anywhere

Post by mrtexasfreedom »

You're going to need to create a host definition and also a service definition for the monitoring server to recognize that the remote server exists. Once you've done that, if it doesn't work, post the copies of your hosts and service definitions for the remote server.

mtf