windows file log monitoring

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jarek

windows file log monitoring

Post by jarek »

hi, I need to monitor textlog file on windows. I have found loads of linux parsers, but nothing for windows. can someone advice me some useful...? actually Im using some passive checks thru nscaclient++, but it can be used just for eventlog.
mguthrie

Re: windows file log monitoring

Post by mguthrie »

Look for "NagEventLog" on exchange.nagios.org. That will probably get you what you need.
jarek

Post by jarek »

definitely not. I have stated before, that I do NOT want monitor eventlog, but text log file.
aracon123

Post by aracon123 »

Thank you for the info here.
mrb

Post by mrb »

How about creating a batch file to parse the log?
http://www.computing.net/answers/progra ... 16018.html
jamfuse

Post by jamfuse »

Hi Jarek,

I have done something in this area, there are a few steps involved but it gives create flexibility for parsing and changing the parsing of the logs. Basically I
- shared the log folder as read only
- created a user to read it and stored the credentials in a hidden file on the Nagios server (Ubuntu Server)
- mounted the drive
- wrote a simple bash script which can check the on-disk size and actual size (the log file was on NTFS compressed drive) and grep for certain words.

This means that if there are new types of log files (they're from an in-house app) or different data to grep for I just need to change the bash script. Once you have a basic framework for your script which takes variable in the top and outputs the result, exit code and performance data in the correct format at the bottom you can always use it again for a different script. (Why is why I think Nagios is great.)

Cheers,
Jamie
jarek

Post by jarek »

thanks, it could be usefull... but, I need passive check. monitored server is not available for nagios.