Nagios and off site Windows monitoring

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Jam1987

Re: Nagios and off site Windows monitoring

Post by Jam1987 »

Great! I'll give them a read over.

Thank you.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

No Problem.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
Jam1987

Post by Jam1987 »

Right, I have upgraded the Nagio 4.0.8 and I have followed the NSCA install guide but I'm having a problem that I can't figure out. The ./configure script and make all script seem to run fine and after make all is run it says it completed fine:

Code: Select all

make all
cd ./src/; make all ; cd ..
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/futuresign/Downloads/nagios/nsca-2.9.1/src'
gcc -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o nsca ./nsca.c ./netutils.c ./utils.c  -lnsl 
./nsca.c: In function ‘handle_connection’:
./nsca.c:1039:17: warning: format ‘%d’ expects argument of type ‘int’, but argument 4 has type ‘long unsigned int’ [-Wformat=]
                 syslog(LOG_ERR,"Only able to send %d of %d bytes of init packet to client\n",rc,sizeof(send_packet));
                 ^
./nsca.c: In function ‘write_checkresult_file’:
./nsca.c:1246:9: warning: format ‘%d’ expects argument of type ‘int’, but argument 3 has type ‘time_t’ [-Wformat=]
         fprintf(checkresult_file_fp,"file_time=%d\n\n",current_time);
         ^
./nsca.c: In function ‘main’:
./nsca.c:153:9: warning: ignoring return value of ‘getcwd’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
   getcwd(config_file,sizeof(config_file));
         ^
./nsca.c: In function ‘write_pid_file’:
./nsca.c:1447:8: warning: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
   write(fd,pbuf,strlen(pbuf));
        ^
./nsca.c:1448:9: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fchown’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
   fchown(fd,usr,grp);
         ^
In file included from /usr/include/fcntl.h:279:0,
                 from ./../include/config.h:134,
                 from ./../include/common.h:24,
                 from ./nsca.c:19:
In function ‘open’,
    inlined from ‘read_config_file.constprop.6’ at ./nsca.c:480:48:
/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/fcntl2.h:50:24: error: call to ‘__open_missing_mode’ declared with attribute error: open with O_CREAT in second argument needs 3 arguments
    __open_missing_mode ();
                        ^
make[1]: *** [nsca] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/futuresign/Downloads/nagios/nsca-2.9.1/src'

*** Compile finished ***

If the compile finished without any errors, you should
find client and server binaries in the src/ subdirectory.

Read the README file for more information on installing
the binaries, creating configuration files, and using
the server and client.
But the file that is meant to be copied to /usr/local/nagios/bin does not exist. The NSCA file it says to copy is no where to be found. Has anyone else had this problem?
Jam1987

Post by Jam1987 »

Ok I tried 2.7.2 and it made the files correctly. I will use that instead of 2.9.1.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

What OS and it's version are you trying to compile it on?
Jam1987

Post by Jam1987 »

Ok I managed to get it all working and listening on port 5667 as netstat showed and also the test message went through fine but I had to create the services.cfg file they mention in the tutorial where I added the service and definition like they said but after restarting Nagios I do not get any extra read outs in the services section on the webUI. Is the services.cfg somewhere else or should I have had to create it myself?
Jam1987

Post by Jam1987 »

tgriep wrote:What OS and it's version are you trying to compile it on?
Sorry I didn't see your message, I'm compiling it on Linux server 3.16.0-45-generic #60~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 24 21:16:23 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

But 2.7.2 works fine by the looks of it.

I added the services.cfg location to the nagios.cfg file and the line appeared in the WebUI as pending, just playing the waiting game now to see if it comes up, may take an hour for the first time as stated in the documentation. Hopefully it works.
Jam1987

Post by Jam1987 »

Another quick update, I ditched the services.cfg as I realised I could have put that information in the template.cfg and the passive check command in the windows.cfg and localhost.cfg so I did and it appears to be the same thing. Back to waiting now.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

You can run this to see if the system is receiving data on port 5667.

tcpdump port 5667
Jam1987

Post by Jam1987 »

tgriep wrote:You can run this to see if the system is receiving data on port 5667.

tcpdump port 5667
Well that's a bummer, I get no feed back when I run that command. I'm not running iptables or anything. When I run:

netstat -tunpl
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:139             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      729/smbd        
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1080/sshd       
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1246/master     
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:445             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      729/smbd        
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5667            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1745/nsca       
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:3306          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1224/mysqld 
I get the following, doesn't that mean it's running?