Visibility of Hosts/Services in browser

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
colintaylor

Visibility of Hosts/Services in browser

Post by colintaylor »

Hi

I am setting up a Nagios Core 3.2.3 installation. All seems to be working well, except for the following problem:

I have two contacts: "engineering" and "operations".

I have two hosttemplates - operations-host and engineering-host.
the contact defined here is "engineering"

I have two servicetemplates - operations-service and engineering-service.
The contacts defined here are "engineering,operations"

I then have a bunch of hosts and services.
If the host needs 24x7 monitoring, then it's "use operations-host", otherwise it's a "use engineering-host"
If the service needs 24x7 monitoring, then it's "use operations-service", otherwise it's a "use engineering-service"

All hosts and services are currently "engineering-host" or "engineering-service".

I have created .htpasswd entries for "engineering" and "operations".
If I authenticate in the browser with "engineering" - I see all hosts and services, just like you'd expect.
If I authenticate in the browser with "operations" - I see no hosts or services, just like you'd expect.

The problem comes here. If I change a host from "engineering-host" to "operations-host" then operations can see not only the host, but all the services on that host too.
If I change only a single service from engineering-service to operations-service, then in the browser, the host appears with just that one service - except that clicking on the host gives "It appears you do not have permission" etc. If I then change the host from engineering-host to operations-host then all services become visible.

I'd like to be able to "enable" a host for operations so they can see the host itself, and an assortment of services from all those available. This is so operations can monitor, say "users online", but not see "memory" or other things that engineering need to know about but don't warrant an out-of-hours call!

Seems to me that the contact for the host being set to operations somehow sets the contact for all the services on that host to the same contact(s)?

Thanks

Colin