Printer monitoring query

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
neworderfac33

Printer monitoring query

Post by neworderfac33 »

Good afternoon - one last quickkie before home time!

Code: Select all

define host{
        use             generic-printer         ; Inherit default values from a template
        host_name       Pontefract              ; The name we're giving to this printer
        alias           HP LaserJet 2605dn      ; A longer name associated with the printer
        address         888.888.888.888         ; IP address of the printer
        hostgroups      network-printers        ; Host groups this printer is associated with
        }

define service{
        use                     generic-service         ; Inherit values from a template
        host_name               Pontefract              ; The name of the host the service is associated with
        service_description     Printer Status          ; The service description
        check_command           check_hpjd!-C public    ; The command used to monitor the service
        normal_check_interval   5       ; Check the service every 5 minutes under normal conditions
        retry_check_interval    1       ; Re-check the service every minute until its final/hard state is determined
        }

define service{
        use                     generic-service
        host_name               Pontefract
        service_description     PING
        check_command           check_ping!3000.0,80%!5000.0,100%
        normal_check_interval   5
        retry_check_interval    1
        }
Using the above, I have set up monitoring for our office network printer and although the ping test work correctly, I'm seeing the following in the browser:

Timeout: No Response from 888.888.888.888:161. : Timeout from host 888.888.888.888

I'm not sure where it's getting the :161 from, as I didn't specify it anywhere. I've looked at the printer and it's not showing any obvious signs of distress - can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance

Pete
hsmith
Agent Smith

Re: Printer monitoring query

Post by hsmith »

peterooney wrote:Good afternoon - one last quickkie before home time!

define host{
        use             generic-printer         ; Inherit default values from a template
        host_name       Pontefract              ; The name we're giving to this printer
        alias           HP LaserJet 2605dn      ; A longer name associated with the printer
        address         888.888.888.888         ; IP address of the printer
        hostgroups      network-printers        ; Host groups this printer is associated with
        }

define service{
        use                     generic-service         ; Inherit values from a template
        host_name               Pontefract              ; The name of the host the service is associated with
        service_description     Printer Status          ; The service description
        check_command           check_hpjd!-C public    ; The command used to monitor the service
        normal_check_interval   5       ; Check the service every 5 minutes under normal conditions
        retry_check_interval    1       ; Re-check the service every minute until its final/hard state is determined
        }

define service{
        service_description     PING
        check_command           check_ping!3000.0,80%!5000.0,100%
        }
Using the above, I have set up monitoring for our office network printer and although the ping test work correctly, I'm seeing the following in the browser:

Timeout: No Response from 888.888.888.888:161. : Timeout from host 888.888.888.888

I'm not sure where it's getting the :161 from, as I didn't specify it anywhere. I've looked at the printer and it's not showing any obvious signs of distress - can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance

Pete
Port 161 is SNMP. To get more specific information from the printer it is going to need to use SNMP. SNMP can be pretty interesting, but kind of a lot when you're first getting started. The first step you are going to want to take is to find out if your printer is able to support it.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

Thank you for your reply - as a starter, I added the following to printers.cfg:

define service {
        service_description     Printer Status SNMP
        check_command           check_snmp! -C public!STATUS!!
        }
The web interface is currently returning a status of UNKNOWN and a Status Information of "No OIDs specified"

Any pointers as to where I could find a list of OIDs, please?

Thanks

Pete
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

peterooney wrote:Thank you for your reply - as a starter, I added the following to printers.cfg:

define service {
        service_description     Printer Status SNMP
        check_command           check_snmp! -C public!STATUS!!
        }
The web interface is currently returning a status of UNKNOWN and a Status Information of "No OIDs specified"

Any pointers as to where I could find a list of OIDs, please?

Thanks

Pete
You're going to have to look that up for your specific printer. If you give me the model number, I can try to help you look.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

Much obliged - it's an HP Colour LaserJet 46700N

Cheers

Pete
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

peterooney wrote:Much obliged - it's an HP Colour LaserJet 46700N

Cheers

Pete
I haven't tested this yet, but here is a plugin someone wrote and tested on a 4700 printer.. I don't have one of those here to test with though :P
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

Much obliged - I'll give it a whirl if it ever passes our internal security!

Pete
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

peterooney wrote:Much obliged - I'll give it a whirl if it ever passes our internal security!

Pete
All right, just keep us posted.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.