Adding Multiple Hosts

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jcb0165

Adding Multiple Hosts

Post by jcb0165 »

I am new to Nagios Core. Is there any way to add multiple hosts to Nagios Core version 4 to get me started. Whether it is a macro or a file please let me know

thanks
Jerry
hsmith
Agent Smith

Re: Adding Multiple Hosts

Post by hsmith »

jcb0165 wrote:I am new to Nagios Core. Is there any way to add multiple hosts to Nagios Core version 4 to get me started. Whether it is a macro or a file please let me know

thanks
Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Currently in core we do not have a tool that is developed by us that fits the description of what you are looking for. Nagios XI includes some auto-discovery and wizard options, but core doesn't come with these. If you need some help getting started with core we can help you out, otherwise any third party options are not supported by us.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
jcb0165

Post by jcb0165 »

Do you know of the best way to look for a 3rd party tool. Can you lead me a good direction. We have over 200/400 servers that I would like to monitor. Entering them by hand would most likely take to long.
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

jcb0165

Bear in mind that when your templates are set up properly the bare minimum to configure a host is as follows

Code: Select all

define host{
     host_name     somehost
     use           hosttemplate
     address       10.0.0.1
}
Theoretically you could actually do it without address even, but that would make all of your hosts of that same template the same.

Regarding 3rd party tools:

https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/A ... DDiscovery
jcb0165

Post by jcb0165 »

Thanks for everything
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Since we don't offer support for third-party config management tools, I will be closing this thread now.
Former Nagios employee
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

jcb0165 wrote:Thanks for everything
To follow up, you got me thinking about this and doing some exploration.

I found out that this works pretty good. It is somewhat similar to the autodiscovery wizard in XI, with less features. My concern is that on a network your size, you're going to end up with a lot of.. stuff. For instance, I ended up finding about 200 hosts on our /23 network. This script gets my seal of approval though.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.