Nagios Core - Installed software auditing

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
neworderfac33

Nagios Core - Installed software auditing

Post by neworderfac33 »

Good morning,

Is anyone out there aware of a plugin for Nagios Core that will allow me to carry out an audit of installed software on remote servers?

Thanks in advance

Pete
hsmith
Agent Smith

Re: Nagios Core - Installed software auditing

Post by hsmith »

peterooney wrote:Good morning,

Is anyone out there aware of a plugin for Nagios Core that will allow me to carry out an audit of installed software on remote servers?

Thanks in advance

Pete
I have not tested this yet, but it could be what you're looking for. I'll see if I can test it today / Monday if today is crazy.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

Cool - thank you for going to all that trouble! :-)

Pete
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

peterooney wrote:Cool - thank you for going to all that trouble! :-)

Pete
No worries, can I ask for some clarification on the scope of this? Are you just looking to get a list of software? I have it somewhat working, but the input that it is returning is kind of ishy.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

Hi Pete, I have an update.

I was able to get the script working, sort of. The one I linked works, but the problem here is that NRPE has a character limit, so the data gets cut off when it gets sent back to the Nagios server. We do have a workaround, however, I am unable to recommend it. You would have to recompile a modified NRPE from source. The powershell script from the plugin that I linked does work all right, but if you are using NSClient to report back to your servers, "you're going to have a bad time." If you let me know *exactly* what you want to do I may be able to help, but at this time it is looking kind of messy.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.