CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
microswift

CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds

Post by microswift »

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum for this so please let me know if it is not. I have a number of problems in regards to getting the monitoring software to read from the client. I some particular servers on which I have installed the Nagios agent work fine initially, and then after about a day they read: CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds. I have increased the command_timeout=500, and yet it still tells me it’s a socket timeout error. When I restart the “Nrpe” service it works again for a short time, but then after a day it starts giving the same error. Can someone please assist?
microswift

Re: CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds

Post by microswift »

I am using Nagios® Core™Version 3.2.3 and currently have 26 servers with the agent installed
crfriend

Re: CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds

Post by crfriend »

On a (monitored) client host that the monitoring host is saying is timing out, what do you see the nrpe process doing (use strace or the like to see what it's doing, and ps or the like to see if it's "gotten fat")? Does the thing time out if you just contact the NRPE agent directly and just ask it to report its own status? It sounds like you have things wedged up on the client (the "monitored") side.