Outgoing Mail

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Outgoing Mail

Postby niculear » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:26 am

Hello, I have searched the forums, and internet but have been unable to find an solution to my problem. Currently host and service alerts are sent by 'User for Nagios', and I would like to change the outgoing email address. What is the easiest way to do this?
niculear

Re: Outgoing Mail

Postby agriffin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Here is an answer from the Nagios Core FAQs. Another solution might be to edit the notify_host_by_email & notify_service_by_email commands to use the '-r' option (which will let you change the 'from' address but not the 'real name' part).
agriffin

Postby crfriend » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:26 pm

An alternate to the solution posited in the FAQ it may be informative to see what the GECOS field in /etc/passwd has to say about the nagios user. If you're seeing spaces in the "From" address that's an indication that the GECOS field is being transmitted as part of the sender's e-mail address, e.g.: "User for Nagios" <nagios@host.example.org>
crfriend

Postby Balmer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:10 pm

That solution detailed in the faq doesn't work for me. I don't know how else to say it - I follow it exactly but can't customize the "from" line.
Balmer

Return to Nagios Core