I can't install net-snmp-utils

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

I can't install net-snmp-utils

Postby juliobaglivo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:07 am

Hello everybody, I'm trying to install the check_snmp plugin to monitor routers and switches but it's a prerequisite that net-snmp-utils must be installed in my OpenSuse.
Does anybody know how can I get and install net-snmp-utils on muy OpenSuse?
Thanks in advance
Julio from Uruguay
juliobaglivo

Re: I can't install net-snmp-utils

Postby crfriend » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:26 am

If you cannot install the NET-SNMP via Suse's standard package-management tools you can get the source from the NET-SNMP project and build it locally.

Before I was forced to migrate off Solaris/SPARC and onto CentOS/Intel I always built from scratch, but now I just use "yum" to install pre-compiled packages. (I miss building from source and having The Canonical Reference handy.)
crfriend

Postby juliobaglivo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Can you specify me how to get the net-snmp-utils source , and the entry process of build it locally?. I have no much
experience using linux
juliobaglivo

Postby juliobaglivo » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:57 pm

My specific issue is this: I am looking as to where I can download net-snmp-utils. I have installed nagios and per documentation I will need to install net-snmp and/or net-snmp-utils in order for me to monitor snmp traffic. I have suse as the distro and does far I cannot find a tar for the net-snmp-utils. Do I need net-snmp-utils or is net-snmp sufficient? Any suggestions or howto is greatly appreciated
juliobaglivo

Postby crfriend » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:03 am

juliobaglivo wrote:I have suse as the distro and does far I cannot find a tar for the net-snmp-utils. Do I need net-snmp-utils or is net-snmp sufficient? Any suggestions or howto is greatly appreciated

There may not be a latest binary package for Suse yet, but an earlier version of a NET-SNMP package may be found here.

If you need (or want) the latest version, the best bet is to download the source tarball here, untar it into a local directory, and follow the directions for building and installing it. That will satisfy the requirement of "net-snmp-utils", although your local package-management system will not be aware of it. It's worth noting that by following the instruction that come with the NET_SNMP source the utility will likely install into the /usr/local hierarchy and you will need to tell that to the configuration script when you build the Nagios Plugins, or make sure that the /usr/local hierarchy is in your nagios user's PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment.
crfriend

Postby juliobaglivo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Thank you very much for your answer. We can solve our problem with your tips
Kind regdars
Julio
juliobaglivo

Return to Nagios Core