Can I split Alerts in a config file?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
joe1871

Can I split Alerts in a config file?

Post by joe1871 »

Hi,

I would like to send alerts for some monitors to two different email addresses depending on whether the alert is a warning or a critical. We use an email account for our paging system, and don't want to get people out of bed if the issue is only a warning. Can I make two sets of conditions in a contact template where the "w" goes to one contact and the "c" goes to another? For example:

normal_check_interval 15 ; Check the service every 15 minutes under normal conditions
retry_check_interval 1 ; Re-check the service every ONE minutes until a hard state can be determined
contact_groups email#1 ; page for critical
notification_options c ; Send notifications about critical
contact_groups email #2 ; warning Notifications get sent out to everyone in the 'email2' group
notification_options w,u,r ; Send notifications about warning, unknown,recovery
notification_interval 60 ; Re-notify about service problems every hour
notification_period 24x7 ; Notifications can be sent out at any time
register 0 ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!

Is this an OK way to do this, or should I have separate templates for each condition? Will the above do what it is intended to do?

Thanks

Joe
hsmith
Agent Smith

Re: Can I split Alerts in a config file?

Post by hsmith »

Make two contacts. Set those two contacts to be in the same contact group. Use that contact group for the service/host in question. Have one contact only critical emails, have the other receive warning and critical?

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ml#contact

That's the most simple way I can think to do it.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.