connecting check_mssql_nt to a named instance

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mrtexasfreedom

connecting check_mssql_nt to a named instance

Post by mrtexasfreedom »

I've checked around and I can't figure out how to specify a named instance or even an alternative port number to be used with check_mssql_nt plugin. Here is the usage for the plugin:

Usage: check_mssql_nt.exe [/h] /H:hostname [/D:dbname] [/U:username] [/P:password] [/t:timeout] [/CHK_CONNECT] [/CHK_CONNECTIONCOUNT] [/CHK_QUERY:ownquery] /w:warn_secs /c:crit_secs /Wv:[max_value|min_value:max_value] /Cv:[max_value|min_value:max_value] [/PF:outformatter]

I've tried with the host looking like:

hostname/instancename

as we do within SQL Server Management Studio to connect to the server. That doesn't work with this plugin, though.

Any ideas? I saw people talking about escaping the $$ on several posts within this forum, but I don't know where to put that parameter even.

thanks for any advice,

mtf
mguthrie

Re: connecting check_mssql_nt to a named instance

Post by mguthrie »

A lot of people have had good luck with this particular plugin, not sure if it will help or not but it might be worth a look:

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... th/details
tkircht

Post by tkircht »

I use:

check_command check-nt!SERVICESTATE!-l 'MSSQL$$SHAREPOINT'

to check for the instance process - works fine with me...
mrtexasfreedom

Post by mrtexasfreedom »

I probably should have written a more detailed issue description in my original posting. I'm using this plugin to submit free-text SQL queries against our database to check different dimensions of our web application. It's not so much being used to see how the database itself is functioning. That's why the check-nt!SERVICESTATE won't work as was helpfully recommended by tkircht.

I had attempted to install check_mssql_health as it also supports free-text SQL queries that return a single number. I ran into a mess of problems on my linux host trying to get DBD::Sybase installed and working. That was an epic side-adventure that never ended.

Perhaps I'll renew my battle against DBD::Sybase. the check_mssql_health seems to have more flexibility than check_mssql_nt in that it supports port parameters.

-- mtf
mrtexasfreedom

Post by mrtexasfreedom »

I burned a few hours yesterday trying to install DBD::Sybase on our Fedora Nagios server in order to install the check_mssql_health plugin. Frustratingly, there is little current documentation on that install process. Has anyone on this forum ever gotten that plugin installed and working on a linux box?

-- mtf
mrtexasfreedom

Post by mrtexasfreedom »

Spent about another four hours today trying to get alternative SQL Server monitoring plugin to work.

Seriously, Nagios core is lacking SQL Server connectivity options. This isn't realistic:

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... th/details

Because of the impossibility of installing DVD::Sybase on a modern Fedora environment. Every other plugin is either another Perl-based dead-end (DBD::Sybase).

If someone had a commercial product that plugged into Nagios, our company would buy it. We've lost thousands of dollars of staff hours trying to get this enabled.

mtf