Newbie: Help setting up alerting groups

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
nagiosnewbie

Newbie: Help setting up alerting groups

Post by nagiosnewbie »

Hey guys! This is my first time on here and I'm not sure if this is even the place... but here is my question:

I'm new to Nagios and I've inherited a little but of a "messy" Nagios environment. I appologize for what might be a stupid question.

I have a telecom group that only wants alerts for telecom related issues. So, for example, how can I configure a Nagios disk space alert to only send alerts about their telecom boxes with disk space issues and not every other disk space alert for our entire network that aren't telecom related? One person here thought we could just duplicate the "Disk Space Check" and call it "Telecom - Disk Space Check" and include just those users in the alerting. I know there has to be a better way. Thanks in advance for your help!
mguthrie

Re: Newbie: Help setting up alerting groups

Post by mguthrie »

Notifications are extremely flexible in Nagios, and what you're looking for can be done in several ways. I would look at maybe applying a common template to certain hosts and services, and assign a contact group to that template. That way if you ever needed to modify something for that group of hosts/service, all you would have to do it modify the template.
I made suggest reading up on "notifications", "object definitions", and "object inheritance" from the Core manual if you really want to set yourself up right for the long haul.
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagi ... n/toc.html
nagiosnewbie

Re: Newbie: Help setting up alerting groups

Post by nagiosnewbie »

mguthrie,

I appreciate your reply, but I'm a little lost how how to impliment what you're discribing. Could you give me a working example of this? I REALLY appreciate your help!