Servers hidden behind single IP

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ashleytyler919

Servers hidden behind single IP

Post by ashleytyler919 »

We have several customers that hide more than one (Windows/NSClient++) server behind one single IP-address. What I usually do in these cases is forward increasing port numbers to those hosts (12489-> HostA, 12490->HostB, 12491->HostC, etc.). On the Nagios side I need to create a service definition for every combination of portnumber and service ( one for CPULOAD at 12489, CPULOAD at 12490, etc.) which tends to fill the service-definitions-file with a bunch of definition entries.

Can anybody stir me towards a better (i.e. more readable and manageable) setup for this problem? I'd love a way to pass the port number to the host definition and use a generic definition for each service. I feel like I could add the port number to the host address (12.34.56.78:1290) but am at a loss on how to parse this in the command definition.

Any suggestion?
mguthrie

Re: Servers hidden behind single IP

Post by mguthrie »

The other way you can deal with this is with passive checks. The remote systems can just be identified with a host name, and the check results sent to the Nagios server via NSCA.