Argument for check_files

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
cocoyanouck

Argument for check_files

Post by cocoyanouck »

Sorry to open a new topic, but i've any questions about this topic : https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 2&start=10

I've this command which is now OK :

define service{
use generic-service
host_name NAME OF MY SERVER
notification_interval 20
service_description Number of files on Request
check_command check_nrpe!check_files!path='c:\\GESTION\\REQUEST' pattern=*.* 'warning=count>5' 'critical=count>10' top-syntax='${status}: ${problem_count}/${count} files' 'empty-state=ok'
}

But when I've no files in this directory, I've a notification "no files found" state : unknown.

I think i may write an argument, but don't find it.

Thanks,
tmcdonald

Re: Argument for check_files

Post by tmcdonald »

What are you looking to accomplish? That appears to be the correct output. The empty-state parameter says "Return status to use when nothing matched filter." according to the documentation: http://docs.nsclient.org/reference/wind ... mpty-state
Former Nagios employee
cocoyanouck

Post by cocoyanouck »

Hum, when I have one, two, three or four files in this directory, I've no notification (it's correct), and the status on the web interface (or in the output of the nagios-debian) "all 1/2/3/4 files are OK".

When I have more than 4 files, I've a warning or critical notifications => it's also true.

But when I've no files in this directory, i don't what to receive a notification. And actually, I've the status UNKNOWN (that's not good) and the output"no files found (that's correct).

So I wonder if my command is correct, or if an argument is missing or another is incorrect (i.e empty-state) ?
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

I believe your syntax looks good.

What version of NSClient++ are you running? It looks like this was a previous issue. https://github.com/mickem/nscp/issues/74
Former Nagios Employee
cocoyanouck

Post by cocoyanouck »

I currently use 0.4.4 but I can test with 0.5.0 tomorrow if necessary.
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

Can you expand on what version of 0.4.4 you're running? It seems to be exiting properly over here. (in my example, C:\blah2\fds is completely non-existent) -

Code: Select all

[root@localhost libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.5.47 -c check_files -a "path=C:\blah2\fds" "empty-state=CRITICAL"
No files found
[root@localhost libexec]# echo $?
[root@localhost libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.5.47 -c check_files -a "path=C:\blah2\fds" "empty-state=WARNING"
No files found
[root@localhost libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.5.47 -c check_files -a "path=C:\blah2\fds" "empty-state=OK"     
No files found
The version of NSClient++ -

[root@localhost libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.5.47
I (0.4.4.15 2015-11-25) seem to be doing fine...
Could you attempt something similar over the command line? echo $? will just show the code that the plugin exited with, so this will help debug. For reference - 0=OK,1=WARNING,2=CRITICAL,3=UNKNOWN
Former Nagios Employee
cocoyanouck

Post by cocoyanouck »

My version of NSCLIENT :

I (0.4.4.19 2015-12-08) seem to be doing fine...
When I test with somes files in the directory, the output is (whatever the value of "empty-sate") :

OK : All X files are OK.
And echo$? :

When I delete all the files, the output is :

No files found
And echo$? :

I understand that the output is correct (no files found), and the echo too (status OK). But the status on the web interface is different (unknown, in orange/yellow color).
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

I understand that, the reason it's displaying as UNKNOWN is because it's exiting with a 3. I'd advise trying to either upgrade NSClient++, or downgrade to the version I'm using.

As it's working fine on my end, it seems to be an issue with certain NSClient++ versions that comes / goes as it pleases.
Former Nagios Employee
cocoyanouck

Post by cocoyanouck »

I've tried this morning with NSCLIENT 0.5.0 and that's the same problem :(
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

rkennedy wrote:Can you expand on what version of 0.4.4 you're running? It seems to be exiting properly over here. (in my example, C:\blah2\fds is completely non-existent) -

[root@localhost libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.5.47 -c check_files -a "path=C:\blah2\fds" "empty-state=CRITICAL"
No files found
[root@localhost libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.5.47 -c check_files -a "path=C:\blah2\fds" "empty-state=WARNING"
No files found
[root@localhost libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.5.47 -c check_files -a "path=C:\blah2\fds" "empty-state=OK"     
No files found
The version of NSClient++ -

[root@localhost libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.5.47
I (0.4.4.15 2015-11-25) seem to be doing fine...
Could you attempt something similar over the command line? echo $? will just show the code that the plugin exited with, so this will help debug. For reference - 0=OK,1=WARNING,2=CRITICAL,3=UNKNOWN
Can you please do something similar to this testing, and post the full result for us to look at? It could be s small formatting issue, the single quotes vs the double quotes.
Former Nagios Employee