normal_check_interval creates warning in config check

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
davidparks21

normal_check_interval creates warning in config check

Post by davidparks21 »

Perhaps a warning isn't anything to worry about, but I noticed that when I have:

Code: Select all

define service{
normal_check_interval 360
check_interval 30
notification_intervals 60
}
Which, if I'm not mistaken, says to do a check every 6 hrs unless there's a problem, then check every 30 min. And send notifications only every hour.

Naturally notifications will only send when there's a problem, so they can only send out when it's running at the 30 min check_interval.

If I said everything correctly, then I shouldn't be bothered with this error in the config check:

Warning: Service 'Root Partition' on host 'myhost' has a notification interval less than its check interval! Notifications are only re-sent after checks are made, so the effective notification interval will be that of the check interval.

Or did I do something wrong? I'm pretty new at nagios.
jsmurphy

Re: normal_check_interval creates warning in config check

Post by jsmurphy »

You are 100% correct in what you have said, if memory serves me correctly however once it reaches a hard down state and sends that notification it will resume checking every 6 hours... which means you will get 5 - 6 notifications for it being down even if it recovers in that 6 hour period.

EDIT: I've just noticed you have check_interval and normal_check_interval... I believe both of these directives do the same thing but one of them is deprecated (normal_check_interval I think), you need to use retry_interval instead. I could be wrong but I've never seen them both used in the same config before.