Unable to Filter Disk Types with CHECK_DRIVESIZE

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
rdorman

Unable to Filter Disk Types with CHECK_DRIVESIZE

Post by rdorman »

I am trying to universally exclude CD-ROM and other removable drives from my drive check monitors. Here is the command line that I am using:

/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H host.domain.local -n -c check_drivesize "crit=free<1g" "filter=type out ('CDROM')"

I have also tried

/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H host.domain.local -n -c check_drivesize "crit=free<1g" drive=* "filter=type in ('REMOVEABLE')"

I realize that I could go through each server and custom exclude the CD drive drive (some are D some are E) but for the similicity of tempmlatizeing this feature would be extremely useful.

Both result in the D:\ drive coming back critical as it is a CD with 100 usage. Any help someone could offer would be appreciated. I'm running the nightly built of NNSClient++ an Nagios Plugins 4.2.0
mcapra

Re: Unable to Filter Disk Types with CHECK_DRIVESIZE

Post by mcapra »

Have you tried filtering by 'FIXED' instead? This worked in my testing environment to exclude optical disk drives:

Code: Select all

./check_nrpe -H 192.168.67.99 -c check_drivesize -a "filter=type in ('FIXED')" "crit=free<1g"
Also make sure to use the -a directive when passing arguments.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
rdorman

Post by rdorman »

So that dealt with my original issue (a DVD drive being instered cauing an aert to go off) but now my disk checks all show the \?\\.... System Volume partitions. I tried the following:

/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -n --host wsus.chimera.local --command check_drivesize -a "filter=type in ('FIXED', 'MOUNTED')"

To include only Mounted drives but that results in this error:

Filter processing failed: Failed to convert type: mounted, Failed to convert type: fixed, mounted: 3 in convert(0)

I feel like i'm close!
rdorman

Post by rdorman »

And it would seem that that didn't fix the issue because at least one of my systems throw back that one of the \?\\ etc partitions has no file system and so the scripts kicks it back b/c it cant get a size. Can the filter be written to EXCLUDE rather than include? Like exclude CDROM? I went through the source code and I see that MOUNTED is no longer a drive type so thats what that was.
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

You could give this a try:

[root@localhost libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.67.99 -c check_drivesize -a "filter=type not in ('CDROM', 'REMOVABLE')" "crit=free<1g"
OK All 1 drive(s) are ok|'C:\ free'=29.34105GB;0;0;0;50.23241 'C:\ free %'=58%;0;0;0;100 'C:\ used'=20.89136GB;40.18593;0;0;50.23241 'C:\ used %'=41%;79;0;0;100
Also what version of NSClient++ is running on the remote machine? You should be able to find this with:

./check_nrpe -H <host/ip>
Former Nagios employee
rdorman

Post by rdorman »

Running a nightly but for this particular situation I doubt it makes a difference, this looks like a feature request to the NSClient++ team. There are two hidden volumes with no mount points on one of my systems that when I add in those filters suddenly get "exposed" to be counted and NRPE throws:

Filter processing failed: Failed to get size for \\?\Volume{26934313-ef77-11e5-9a9b-806e6f6e6963}\: 1005: The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.
: 0 > convert(0)

It does, however, properly filter out my CDROM drive if i point it at just about any other system that I have.

I really appreciate your help and especially the speed at which you responded.
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

You could also try excluding the \\? path, but I don't have a system to test this against unfortunately.

./check_nrpe -H 192.168.67.99 -c check_drivesize -a "filter=type not in ('CDROM', 'REMOVABLE')" "crit=free<1g" "exclude=\\?"
Former Nagios employee