Nagios to Alret only if Device is down for more than 5 min

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
redhat1981

Nagios to Alret only if Device is down for more than 5 min

Post by redhat1981 »

Hi,

I have configured Nagios® Core™ Version 3.2.2, I have configured a switch, Which goes down very often and comes up by its own, I want to configure nagios in such a way that if the switch is down for more than 5 minutes, Then only I should get alert. Attaching the service.cfg file.

Please let me know where should I do the changes in the config file.

define service{
host_name ie-b.mycompany.com
service_description LAN
check_command check_snmp_int!public!ethernet0/0
# first_notification 30
max_check_attempts 1
normal_check_interval 5
retry_check_interval 3
check_period 24x7
notification_interval 2280
notification_period 24x7
notification_options w,c,r
contact_groups Network
}

Thank you
raggmopp

Re: Nagios to Alret only if Device is down for more than 5 m

Post by raggmopp »

Change the max_check_attempts from 1 to 2 and change the retry_check_interval from 3 to 5.
The max_check_attempts is saying that on the 1st check that a problem is found, send an alert.
Changing that to 2 with a retry of 5 says, on 1st check, if problem found then retry the check in 5 min, if problem persists then 2 checks have been completed and send the alert.

You could have max_check_attempts set to 3 and retry_check_interval set to 3. This says, on 1st check that problem is found, retry the checks at 3 min intervals. The next retry will occur in 3 min. If problem persists another retry occurs in another 3 min. That is a total of 3 checks in 6 minutes and an alert is sent.

These are the differences between HARD and SOFT states.