Nagios hostgroups and authorization

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
bamdad_ehterami

Nagios hostgroups and authorization

Post by bamdad_ehterami »

Dear All;
I think it's quite necessary for Nagios to partially show servicegroups/hostgroups as per authorization information. As I've found out on the internet, it was the default behavior in old versions and at some point in the past it has changed to what it is right now, which is NOT to show a hostgroup/servicegroup unless the user is authorized to view ALL the hosts/services on the group.
Consider the following scenario: You've got 40+ switches and 40+ servers and 50+ wireless accesspoints and other network gear you want to monitor with Nagios. Well I think it stands to reason that defining all the 10+ services you're going to monitor for your network equipment and 20+ services you want from your servers is just beyond sanity. So you define two or three hostgroups for your servers and maybe around five more for the others and assign the services you need to monitor to these groups, now ofcourse there would be more than one person responsible for the operation of such network, and you would want to split the view depending on the login information provided by the operator...
To keep the old mechanics for those who want it, this must be a hostgroup/servicegroup level option which is 'disabled' by default.

.b