Monitoring a Microsoft SQL Server

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
kaplan71

Monitoring a Microsoft SQL Server

Post by kaplan71 »

Hi there --

I am trying to monitor several Microsoft SQL Server 2008R2 systems, and I am experimenting with several plugins.

The first plugin that I am testing is the check_mssql plugin. I am having problems gaining access to the server,
and I am not sure where the syntax error is in the command. The command syntax that is being used is the following:
./check_mssql -H <ip address> -U <username> -P <password>
The username being entered is a domain user account. The name is used either by itself or as <domain>\<username>.
All attempts have resulted in the following error:
CRITICAL: Could not connect to <ip address> as <username>.
Another plugin that I am testing is the check_mssql_health plugin. Using the command syntax shown below:
./check_mssql_health --hostname=<ip address> --username=<username> --password=<password> --mode=connection-time
The username here is the same as that used in the previous plugin. The connection attempts all failed with the
following error message appearing on-screen:
CRITICAL - cannot connect to 172.27.45.252. DBI connect(';host=172.27.45.252;port=1433','ahk',...)
failed: (no error string) at ./check_mssql_health line 2175
Has anyone had success working with either of these plugins, and if so, what would be the correct syntax to use here?

Also, the SQL servers all have the OpMon agent installed on them as a means to monitor disk space usage, and other
services. Does OpMon have the means, or is there a plugin that can be installed on the Windows servers that would enable
the monitoring of the SQL servers?

Thanks.